We’re already halfway through January and we know our New Year’s Resolutions have begun to fall by the wayside. According to Franklin Covey, the time management firm, “Four out of five people who make New Year’s resolutions will eventually break them. In fact, a third won’t even make it to the end of January”. Not to worry, though! We’ve come up with a list of ways to stick to them for good if you’re anything like us and need an extra boost this month.
- Remember why you made the resolution in the first place.
- If you haven’t already, write it down. Make sure the goal is specific and attainable.
- Visualize yourself achieving your goal.
- Commit to change and make it a habit. The more you repeat something, the more your brain creates a memory of it and the easier it becomes.
- Don’t beat yourself up for slip-ups. No one is perfect. Get back on track the next day.
- Last but not least, reward yourself! When you reward yourself for meeting smaller, specific goals that lead up to your final goal, you reinforce the habit.
Fitness Coach Laurent Amzallag from Yala Fitness reminds us that altering our routine is a long-term process. Thus, our new years resolutions will become easier to maintain over time. So, stick to it and don’t give up!